Request a Service Record

The National Archives provides an automated system for access of military records. An electronic request for records is available for veterans and next of kin. Other non-electronic methods are also available. Individuals who are not next of kin must fill out Standard Form SF-180.

If you want to request your, or your relative’s, military personnel records, click here.

You may use this system if you are a military veteran, or next of kin of a deceased, former member of the military. The next of kin can be any of the following: surviving spouse that has not remarried, father, mother, son, daughter, sister, or brother.

If you are not the veteran or next of kin, you must complete the Standard Form 180 (SF 180) by clicking here.

For more information, see Access to Military Records by the General Public.